Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cucumbers

7 unpeeled cucumbers (I peel them)
1 cup sliced onions
1 cup green pepper chopped
Place in a large bowl in layers. Scatter salt on top and let set for 2 hours. (Do not drain)
Combine 1 cup vinegar, 2 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon celery seed (optional) and stir thoroughly and let stand in refrigerator.

I rarely have any left if I take these somewhere.
This came from my younger sisters ex mother-in-law.



I was asked to post this by a friend. This following recipe I got from my grandfather when he was 90. It was in a newsletter that he got from the nursing home that my grandmother was in. He use to make it often. My kids like it.

Simple Pineapple Cake

1 Angel Food Cake Mix (the one step cake mix)
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple (undrained)
Mix cake mix, and crushed pineapple together until well blended. Put into a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with pam. Bake in a 325 degree oven until done.
(Pineapple can be substituted for a large can of Mandarin oranges) (Very good and easy)
I think my oven takes about 40 minutes.


I also saw a post somewhere to use a can of pumpkin pie mix and the 1 step angel food cake mix. I tried it and it is good.




This recipe I got from a co-worker a couple years ago. My kids request it for their birthday cake now.

Buster Bar Ice Cream Cake (suppose to be like a DQ Cake)

Crust:
1 package Oreos (save 3/4 cup for top)
1 stick oleo, melted
Middle:
1/2 gallon ice cream (any flavor)
1/2 cup peanuts
1 jar hot fudge topping
Top:
8 oz. cool whip
remaining oreos
Crush cookies and mix with oleo. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Freeze until hard.
Spread ice cream on top of crust. (you can slice the ice cream and lay it on the crust--this is alittle easier) Sprinkle peanuts on the ice cream. Freeze until hard.
Drizzle Fudge topping over peanuts and freeze.
Top with cool whip and remaining Oreo cookies. Freeze until firm. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Chili-ghetti

Ran across this from a 2019 Simple & Delicious issue earlier this week.  Trying another recipe as I am typing this.  It is Apples & ...